Welcome to our website !

Cheryl Johnson-Managing Creativity

Cheryl Johnson is a Fine Art—Abstract Expressionist painter. She has been gifted with renowned artistic talent. Johnson primarily works in oil and mixed media. Her work has transitioned from being a noted portrait and realist painter to her current Abstract focus. She is also an accomplished sculptor and photographer. Her work is exhibited in corporations, galleries and personal collections across America, Canada, and Europe.

Missing

By 7:35 AM , , , , , , , , ,

I miss Rosie and Ruby and Maggie and the secret forest, My heart crystal lonely.


Cheryl Johnson: Kauai and North Carolina. A contemporary and impressionist painter focusing on a unique style of Abstract Expression that is often likened to Impressionism.

Cheryl Johnson's work is known for painting large, light-filled abstractions. She creatively uses brushes and the palette knife as her primary chosen form of expression. Applying layers and skeins of bright colors. Her work is infused with energy and paint often intertwines becoming a tangle of pale pink, scarlet, mustard, sienna, yellow ochre and black or deep hues. Lines move and suggest that this ganglion of pigments evokes the nerves or arteries of a secret forest or forgotten city.

Contemporary – abstract landscape paintings

sampleCheryl Johnson is an American abstract expressionist painter.  Her works are exhibited extensively and are collected worldwide. Cheryl lives and works in Kauai, Hawaii.  Her current works show a deep involvement with the expressive impact of color and texture. This latest piece is the first painting in a series of oil and mixed media works that explore the theme of a “Secret Forest.”  This series attempts to depict the every changing and evolving landscape and the passage of time. “Abstract art to me is a visual language of form, color and line which allows me to create a composition which may exist with a degree of independence from actual real visual references in the world. When I am creating a painting I'm not attempting to re-create reality. I want the viewer to experience the feelings I felt in a place and time.” 

“My abstract landscape paintings are inspired by my walks with my dogs in a forest near my home in the Carolina’s or when I “wog;” (walk and jog) up Power House road in Kauai with my partner. They are more an expression of the emotion I feel in a specific moment. I am inspired by the place and then the spaces, the color and the texture of the natural world. I strive to capture an essence and bring a feeling onto the canvas. I enjoy exploring color, forms, and texture. Perhaps in addition to being an abstract painter I am perhaps a explorer of fauvism where as I work with color it is conspicuously and deliberately altered. By using the palette knife my forms are often following cubism, and I blatantly alter the forms of how real life entities are depicted. For me, color creates both form and line. Color and light dictates the direction in which a painting will go.”

Johnson works deliberately.I paint and then I step back and ponder, she said. Then I add more elements and sit and look at the painting, sometimes for hours. Eventually, the painting tells me what to do next. If I like to stop and simply rest, breathe and look it is then I know it is time to stop and I have succeeded.When not painting or creating combines, collages or mixed media on multiple surfaces from canvas, to wood, to metal Cheryl can be found molding, cutting, scraping, and building unique forms as her sculptures take form.

ARTIST STATEMENT
Creating art is my lifes passion and isn't life simply beautiful.

You Might Also Like

0 comments